Monday, January 10, 2011

Framer Spotlight: Debra Kowalski

There are plenty of good reasons to come to Chelsea Frames, and one of them certainly is Deb

I remember the first day she came to Chelsea Frames looking for a place to plant her artistic feet in this great big city.  At the time, I was merely a sales manager here, but the minute she walked out the door I immediately took the owner aside and said, "I really think you should offer her a position."  That was a gutsy move for me, considering I had no authority over hiring and firing procedures, but I knew she was a perfect fit for this company.


Deb (left) and I at the sales counter
 You see, Deb and I go way back.  Even though I hadn't expected to see her that day, she and I first met a few years prior while working at a big box store in Albany, New York.  We had both been hired within a week of each other, and while we worked in different departments, we were both art students (she at St. Rose, and I at UAlbany) and became fast friends.  Eventually, we graduated and went our separate ways.  I went on to work for another frame shop in Syracuse before relocating down to the city.  She had briefly held a teaching position and decided it was time to make a career change.  It had been a few years since we last saw each other or kept in touch, so it was fate that brought her to Chelsea Frames that day.

Deb's keen sense of style is why we love her.  That and her passion for everything she does. In fact, I admire her approach to framing so much she's designed many frames for pieces in my personal art collection.

I asked Deb some questions about what makes her tick, and what inspires her.  

Q: Tell us what your role is at Chelsea Frames.

A: As the senior sales associate at Chelsea Frames I handle many aspects of client relations and sales. Chelsea Frames assists a wide array of clients ranging from galleries to the general public as well as architects, interior and set designers, artists and various organizations to name a few. My role is to provide our clients with custom framing options that will protect and preserve their treasures for the long-term.

I often collaborate with our fitters and on-site wood shop to develop special orders as well as with our business manager, Andy, to coordinate deliveries, pick-ups and invoices. Jaclyn and I determine which new frames will be added to our collection and we also collaborate with our off-site conservators and mounting experts to provide our clients with opportunities to have their works professionally cleaned, repaired, mounted or linen-backed.

Q: Describe your framing style.

A: I consider my framing style to be classic, contemporary gallery style. I don’t think you can go ever wrong with simple, clean design however I always take into consideration the aesthetic preferences of our clients to achieve a design that unifies their personal style with the art object.

Q: What are your inspirations?

A: So many things inspire me...the unpredictability of this incredible city for one! Our friendly neighbors, Billy’s Bakery, our fabulous staff, and of course our mascot Kiwi. In framing it is often the artwork and the person who owns it that first inspires me and sparks a vision for the frame design. I often try to consider the history of the object that is being framed and to choose a frame design, which will incorporate some aspect of that in a contemporary way. It is especially inspiring (and fun) if the client is excited about what they are framing!

Q: Besides framing what are your other interests/hobbies?

A: It is rare that I am without a passion for something in my life. Since the fall of 2009 I have been enrolled in a master’s program at the Fashion Institute of Technology called Art Market: Principles & Practices. This program has broadened my understanding of the art market and the art world more than I ever imagined. I have taken classes in gallery management, appraisal, art business, marketing, art law, the history of contemporary art and the New York art world. This past November, my classmates and I organized Collect + Art + Delete, a panel discussion which focused on e-commerce and the art market. We are currently planning a group exhibition for the end of the spring term.

Q: Pick three of your favorite frames and explain why they are your favorite.


A: VT 120 (Chelsea Frames' house moulding)
This is one of my favorites from our collection of house frames. It’s considered a gallery style frame characterized by a thin face and a deep back. It looks great on works up to 11x14 in size and is a clean, contemporary profile. This is something your can frame almost everything in. It comes in several larger sizes and finishes and can be milled from walnut, maple, ash or cherry wood.


To say I have an affinity for the somewhat edgy would be an understatement. So, when Jaclyn told me that Chelsea Frames was going to carry this line, I cheered. After finding out that a frame from this collection was sold before it even had a space on our wall, I did a little victory dance. Exciting!
Framing recommendation: Large skull and crossbones frame paired with our smoky mirror!




San Marcos Frames has an impressive line of high-end, hand carved frames. Manufactured in Columbia and made entirely of tropical cedar hardwood, these frames are absolutely stunning when fit with a mirror but can also be used for other framing projects. The more I learn about the process which goes into creating these frames the more I consider the frames themselves to be a work of art!



Q: What is the most interesting thing you’ve framed?

A: This summer will mark my fifth year at Chelsea Frames so I have seen quite a few interesting things pass though our doors! There is not possibly one thing that I could choose as my favorite but just to name a few, there have been works by street artists, props for movies, Brazilian headdresses with gorgeous feathers, Russian icons, works from private collections, action figures and a wheat-pasted Darth Vader helmet.